至爱音乐论坛 » 『欧美专辑分享』 » The Horrors - Primary Colours CD (2009) [Krautrock/Psy. Rock] [FLAC]

2018-10-8 18:09 麻油女郎
The Horrors - Primary Colours CD (2009) [Krautrock/Psy. Rock] [FLAC]

[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/411K0AmfAML.jpg[/img]

._______.______  ._______._____  ._______  .______
:_ ____/: __   \ : .____/:_ ___\ : .___  \ :      \
|   _/  |  \____|| : _/\ |   |___| :   |  ||       |
|   |   |   :  \ |   /  \|   /  ||     :  ||   |   |
|_. |   |   |___\|_.: __/|. __  | \_. ___/ |___|   |
:/    |___|       :/    :/ |. |   :/         |___|
:                       :   :/    :
:
The_Horrors-Primary_Colours-(xlcd_41-CD-FLAC-2009-FREGON
Artist .........:  The Horrors
Title ..........:  Primary Colours
Genre ..........:  Psychedelic Rock
Style ..........:  Rock, Indie rock
Label ..........:  XL Recordings
Language .......:  English
Year ...........:  2009
Catalog Number .:  xlcd 418
Street Date ....:  05.05.2009
Release Date ...:  08.28.2018
Source .........:  CDDA
Encoder ........:  FLAC 1.3.1
Grabber ........:  EAC
Quality ........:  996 kbps / 44100 Hz / Stereo
Size ...........:  319.90 MB
Tracks .........:  10
Url: [url]https://www.thehorrors.co.uk/[/url]
T R A C K   L I S T
01.Mirror's Image                                                  04:51
02.Three Decades                                                   02:50
03.Who Can Say                                                     03:41
04.Do You Remember                                                 03:28
05.New Ice Age                                                     04:25
06.Scarlet Fields                                                  04:43
07.I Only Think Of You                                             07:07
08.I Can't Control Myself                                          03:27
09.Primary Colours                                                 03:02
10.Sea Within A Sea                                                07:58
-----
45:32
R E L E A S E   N O T E S
A four-on-the-floor beat with a wash of synths isn't exactly the expected way for a
Horrors album to begin, but that's exactly how "Mirror's Image" kicks off Primary
Colours, which is such a big departure from the band's debut, Strange House, that
it's fitting it's on a different label. Though Strange House's final tracks suggested
that the band was looking for ways to expand on its resurrection of freakbeat and
garage rock, very little suggested that its next album would be the triple point
where goth, post-punk, and shoegaze met. This time out, Faris Badwan sings more than
he screams, Spider Webb's keyboards sparkle rather than stab, and the guitars bend
and blur instead of slamming out power chords (Primary Colours' out-of-focus cover
photo even upholds the rule that shoegaze-inspired albums have to have hazy artwork
to match the sounds within). Even their attitude is completely different: rather than
dismissing an ex by snarling "She was the new thing," Badwan sighs, "I know you're
better off this way." Then again, the Horrors always seemed artier and more ambitious
than a lot of garage rock-inspired bands, from their cartoon-goth look to
collaborating with visionary director Chris Cunningham. Now, Cunningham acts as one
of Primary Colours' co-producers, along with Portishead's Geoff Barrow; having
masters of sophisticated spookiness like these in their corner helps the Horrors make
such a drastic change to their sound convincing. While Strange House's sound was fun
and distinctive -- and that campy glee is occasionally missed here -- it might have
also been limiting, something that can't be said of the band's experiments with these
songs. The album's epic lead single, "Sea Within a Sea," is also its most stunning
track, traveling through a motorik beat, taut keyboards, and massive guitar drones
that suggest whale cries before it opens into a sparkling, arpeggiated coda.
Several other songs are nearly as exciting, even -- or maybe especially -- when they
keep some of the pop structures from the Horrors' previous incarnation. The excellent
"Three Decades" sounds a little like a song from Strange House being played
underwater, with busy drums the only constant as everything else billows and blows
around them. "Who Can Say" pays homage to the band's enduring Joe Meek fetish with
"Telstar"-like synth tones, and to their fondness for '60s pop in general with a
spoken word bridge that puts the lyrics from Jay & the Americans' "She Cried" to a
Phil Spector-inspired boom-boom-boom-crash! beat. This mix of '60s meets '90s sounds
fresher than the moments where the Horrors try to re-create the shoegaze sound more
faithfully, as on the title track and "Do You Remember," both of which sound, for
better or worse, like the work of one of the many forgotten bands that popped up
after Loveless was released. Their forays into post-punk (or maybe post-post-punk)
are also mixed: "I Only Think of You" doesn't quite live up to its seven-minute
length, but "Scarlet Fields," which sounds like Kevin Shields guesting on an Interpol
song, is one of the album's highlights. The Horrors fare better when they bare their
teeth on the violent, hypnotic "New Ice Age" and "I Can't Control Myself," a piece of
strung-out dream blues that gives Spiritualized a run for their money. As bold and
listenable as it is, Primary Colours is occasionally scattered, giving the impression
that the band is trying on different sounds for size -- although the fact that most
of it works so well is actually more surprising than how different it is from their
earlier work. At its best, it shows that the Horrors can do far more than what anyone
expected from them.
Review by Heather Phares.
Enjoy =>

[b]The_Horrors-Primary_Colours-(xlcd_418)-CD-FLAC-2009-FREGON[/b]
**** Hidden Message *****

页: [1]